Thursday, January 20, 2011

LINGO – CHURCH WORD #10

My older brother Marty and I
RIGHTEOUS: right·eous/Adjective

1. (of a person or conduct) Morally right or justifiable; virtuous.

2. Perfectly wonderful; fine and genuine.

Growing up, it was not uncommon for my older brother to aggravate me by hitting me, throwing things at me or calling me names. When my brother did something to me that was wrong I would make sure to let my parents know, because when you are treated poorly you usually go to someone who can make things right! My parents could offer me justice and had the authority to get things back on track.

In the world, when things go wrong, God’s attributes and character include making things right. In the days of Noah, when the world was headed in the wrong direction, God called upon Noah because he had a Godly character. 

Noah was a righteous man, blameless in his generation; Noah walked with God. (Genesis 6:9)

When God wanted someone to go into the promise land, he called upon Abraham. 

“Abraham believed God and it was reckoned to him as righteousness.” (Romans 4:3)

When God entered into the world, He chose Mary to carry the baby and Joseph for the father. 

Her husband Joseph, being a righteous man. (Matthew 1:19)

God’s ultimate act of making things right, was the cross. In our brokenness and our disobedience to God’s will, we do not have the ability to make thing right with God. However, Jesus goes to the cross, bears all the sins of the world so that when God looks at all of us He sees “righteous people”.  By the cross, we are right with Him again. 

When we receive Holy Communion or when we remember our baptism, we remember the God who makes us righteous because of His deep and abiding love for us.

In our human condition, we want things made right when we have been wronged. In our walk with God, He deems you and I right on the cross.  He is the ultimate judge of true righteousness.  Trust in Him.

Prayer: Thank you God for the gift of your son Jesus. On my own, I am not righteous. I ask for you to continue to allow your Holy Spirit to sustain, encourage and mold me to walk close to you everyday. Amen.

What do you think?  Still have questions, please comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment